Skip to main content

Lovepark End of the Year Awards V

Welcome to the fifth Lovepark End of the Year Awards:

where the awards don't matter, and nobody cares!

 

Judges: Me (as always)

 

It has been years since my last "awards" post—mostly because these things take way too long to write—and while I have been watching dramas (and enjoying them immensely) in the time I haven't given out awards, there were a couple of shows this year that compelled me to recognize them in some capacity.

With the influx of channels and streaming services jumping into the money pool known as Korean dramas, there are more shows being made than I can count or care to remember. The increase in supply does not always guarantee quality, and in fact, there were probably more duds than gems this year if anyone had the time or desire to watch everything that aired. While most dramas go unnoticed, a deserved few garner attention, and in some cases, created an irrevocable impact on the landscape.

Without further ado...

 

Best "Dang... Why is Everyone so Talented" Drama

Beyond Evil

To put it plainly, Beyond Evil was gripping. Under the thin veneer of camaraderie was the sickening realization that the same small town closeness that forged their bonds was also the reason for their tragedy. No one was safe from suspicion, and all hands were culpable in some way, shape, or form. What makes this show so amazing, though, is the cast who breathed life into their characters and imbued the show with an uneasy tension that never lifts. Filled with indisputable talents like Shin Ha-kyun and Yeo Jin-goo, the main leads were powerful, but the show's charm should also be credited to the supporting cast. I could list everyone from Choi Dae-hoon to Kim Shin-rok for their wonderful performances, but if I did, then this post might never end.   


Best "Should Have Another Season" Drama

Hospital Playlist

I adored the first season of Hospital Playlist, and while the initial charm of the show wasn't as obvious in the second, I still enjoyed it for what it was. Plot-wise, there were a few loose ends that made me wonder if the creators knew ahead of time that this would be the finale, but overall, I thought the show had run its course. Why then did I award this to Hospital Playlist? Because of the cast. In the PD Na variety show that followed right after filming ended, it seemed as if the actors truly loved the show, and a part of me wishes to see them all again. Maybe the five friends' stories are over, but the world of Hospital Playlist might still have a few tales left to tell.


Best "Made with Love" Drama

Yumi's Cells

Plenty of dramas have taken a beloved webtoon and made utter garbage. A common problem in these remakes is that the creators and individuals involved show no respect to the original author's intentions and usually butcher the story. When Yumi's Cells was first announced, I groaned because I expected another failure (as did many fans of the original), but thankfully, the creators clearly loved the webtoon. The animation and use of professional voice actors made the cells an integral part of the show, the actors captured the essence of their character so well, and the overall atmosphere of the drama kept true to the original. Most importantly, the creators did not diverge from the webtoon's message (Woong will always have a special place in my Yumi's Cells shaped heart), and this fact makes me the most excited for the upcoming seasons.


Best "Thanks for Introducing Me to..." Drama

Navillera

The drama was sweet and well made, but the greatest thing this show did for me was introduce me to a wonderful webtoon. I had not heard of Navillera before the show was announced, so I decided to read it before its air date. The show gets a lot right, but there is a certain magic to the webtoon that is missing in the remake. While I enjoyed the drama, it's really the webtoon Navillera that I fell in love with.


Best "Filled to the Brim with Adorable Characters" Drama

 Racket Boys

Like his previous work, writer Jung Bo-hoon creates a show teeming with wonderful characters. From the thoughtful teenagers to the heartwarming villagers, I could go on and on about how much I love the characters in Racket Boys, but what makes this drama spectacular is that all these adorable individuals also feel very human. They have flaws, and instead of ignoring them and making boring, "perfect" people, the show makes its characters confront their shortcomings in order to grow. I also love how everyone's story matters even if they might be a minor supporting role, which also makes this (surprisingly) one of the best ensemble dramas of this year.


Best "Subverted Expectations" Characters

Kang Ji-gu (Jung Eun-ji), Ahn So-hee (Lee Sun-bin), and Han Ji-yeon (Han Sun-hwa) in Work Later, Drink Now

Work Later, Drink Now was a web series that grew in popularity through word of mouth, and I'm so glad that it did. At the heart of the show is three friends, each of whom come across as stereotypes, but as the story progressed, we learn more about their history and lives. They are so much more than the world sees them as, and I loved the detailed character exploration into each of them. Most importantly, their friendship felt genuine despite their differences, and the show always treated them as individuals rather than convenient tropes. In addition, all three actors were absolutely sublime in their roles, and their rapport was amazing.


Best "Deserves to be Punched in the Face" Character

Dr. Myung (Moon Sung-geun) in Dr. Brain


[Major Spoiler Warning! Please skip this section if you do not want to be spoiled for Dr. Brain.]

This is was probably the most heated award because there were so many top contenders, but in the end, Dr. Myung edges out to come on top. While quite a few characters in this show needed to be punched, Dr. Myung was the worst because everything essentially stemmed from him. He was the psychotic mastermind at the end of this twisty road, and his lack of remorse was disgusting because he truly believed his actions were for the greater good. He saw himself as some sort of god, and had no qualms destroying other people in order to further his pursuit of knowledge. Then to cement his claim on this award, he had the audacity to proclaim, "I will be your father and son." Yeah, I really want to punch this old man.

Honorable Mentions: You-know-who from Squid Games

 

Best "What a Nice Surprise" Actor

Ji Jin-hee in Move to Heaven

I turned on the show expecting to see Lee Je-hoon, but was pleasantly surprised to find Ji Jin-hee on my screen. His portrayal of  Geu-ru's dad, Han Jung-woo, set the tone for the show and helped establish the audience's relationship with the leads. His character laid down the foundation for the story, and Ji Jin-hee delivered splendidly, capturing the warmth, sternness, and vulnerability of a man who knows the pain of lost but continuously moves forward.

 

Best "Finally, Everyone Sees Your Awesomeness" Actor

Park Hee-soon in My Name

What a stupendous year for Park Hee-soon! Personally, I found My Name to be predictable and uninspired, but regardless of my thoughts on the quality of the show, Park Hee-soon was firing on all cylinders as the twisted and pained Choi Moo-jin. He was the best part of the show (besides the fighting sequences), and I am happy for the drama's success since it brought Park Hee-soon the attention I always thought he deserved. Now, I'm not the only fan gushing about how awesome he is. VINDICATION!!

 

Comments